Monday, August 18, 2008

Hi!

Sorry it has taken me a few days to get time to get online. I am here at the compound in the student computer room and there is internet access for a handful of computers but it is very very slow, although it is supposedly one of the best internet connections in Nairobi.

So, the few days of traveling were fun but very exhausting - by the last 4 hours of the last flight I felt very sick with a headache and so so tired but was excited to get to Kenya. My flight from Boston to NYC was long because we spent an extra hour on each end on the ground - so I didn't get into NYC until 1 hour before my international flight to London - I ran like crazy after picking up all my luggage (4bags!) and somehow made it to the Virgin Atlantic terminal and was then told that my flight was closed because I was too late. I begged and explained that I was part of a student group and finally they said if I could run fast I might be able to make it. When I made it to the plane everyone was already on and as I walked down the aisles kids from my group - scattered all over the plane - were like "Wow we thought you weren't coming!" It was a long flight but it was fun to see everyone from the group and others that I met for the first time who were from other schools (though I recognized them from Facebook - always an awkward but funny meeting). The flight was delayed in leaving NYC for 4 hours!!! We were supposed to fly out at 6:30 but didn't leave until 10:30 because of thunder storms. I didn't sleep much on the plane because I think I was too excited. In London we took the train out of the airport into
the city to see the sights during out 10 hr layover . From London we made our final flight to Nairobi and everyone was very tired at that point - no sleep for 2 days!

In Nairobi the KSP (Kenya Semester Program) staff met us after we went through customs and were so excited for our arrival. They brought us and our luggage to the bus and we made our first ride from the airport by Nairobi and into Karen to the compound. When we arrived there was a delicious breakfast waiting of Chai, pineapple, yogurt, bread with peanut butter and honey, and cereal. We were not allowed to sleep because they said it would mess up our sleeping patterns, but we all looked like zombies. We had a tour around the compound - so beautiful - and 5 acres - and then we got rooms and moved in. I am in a room with a girl named Laura and we have our own bathroom and shower attached - a very private room in the back of the house - so much nicer than I imagined. In the evening we played basketball and volleyball with the compound staff and their children. Everyone was so nice and eager to spend time with us and the kids were great - they speak English and Swahili and they helped us learn about the ways in which kids our age live in Kenya. Everyone in our group - 17 of us - get along great, everyone seems laid back and a lot of fun - there are only 3 guys but they seem to be fine with the fact and they get along well together.

Sunday - our first full day in Kenya - we were sent out into Nairobi by OURSELVES! We were given some $$ and a map and told to do a list of things in the city in small groups. My group was definitely intimidated, but we were able to find the stop for the City Hoppa (the "safe" bus) after a 15 minute walk from the compound. Getting on the bus we got some stares, but it wasn't as scary as I thought it could have been. Everyone seemed to be doing their own thing and they
acknowledged our presence and then went on with their own travels. Two little children behind me did keep touching my shoulder and then ducking down near their mom when I looked around - so cute! My group got off at the wrong stop - but with our map in hand we just walked (20min) to the correct location - The Java House (like Starbucks) - where we got smoothies. We then took the bus into Nairobi and walked around the city before meeting up with the rest of the group at the college where we will be taking classes starting in a few weeks. After a tour around the United Kenya Club (the college), we got back on our bus and went to the National Kenya Museum for an hour - we were able to go off on our own and look at all the exhibits - it was a lot to take in in 1 hour, but I loved the photography rooms - there were many pictures from the national parks which got me excited about our safaris and other traveling we will do. On the way back to the compound we stopped at the Massai Market where we looked at all there was to sell. Our bus driver (who will drive us all around and on our long trips to the field components) told us to leave all of our $ on the bus and that was a very good idea. Everyone was all over us as soon as we got off the bus - "I give you good price!" and "Come see what I have to sell!" Everyone grabbed my hand and was all over me. As we were trying to leave I was walking out with one of the guys from my group, Drew, and he (I found out later) was about to sell me away. A man asked him about me "how old how old" - Drew said I better watch out next time because he might see how much he can get for a girl in our group. I can't wait to go back to the market to buy great jewelry & crafts.

Every meal is great, our cook Andrew is amazing and we have been so lucky - though he says to eat now because we don't know what we will have on our rural home-stays later this week. The compound is so accommodating to all of us and we already feel at home. The compound staff is there for us but they also leave us on our own in the Student Center (where we live) a lot and go to live in their own homes on the compound - we all feel very independent which is nice. We have a big kitchen and dining room and 8 bedrooms and a living room - very spacious and decorated with African paintings and gifts from past KSP classes.

Monday - today - I woke up early to go for a run with 3 other girls - it was definitely an experience - everyone was walking on the roads and we would yell (Jambo - "hello") as we passed them. From 9-12 we went to our first Swahili class about 10 minutes away. It is a facility where many missionaries and other Americans come to learn Swahili. We were broken up into classes of 4 each and our teachers are great - you have no choice but to participate in a class of 4 - for most of the class the teacher taught only in Swahili and would point to us to repeat words and phrases after we realized what they meant by his expressions, pointing, and hand gestures.

This afternoon we ventured into Karen, the town where the compound is located. There we bought stamps, exchanged money, and looked around. Tonight we had our first class discussion on one of the pre-trip books we had to read and it is very evident that this group is full of smart people - everyone had something to say. We mainly discussed the recent political events and also the contrasts in Kenya and Western influence on the country.

As soon as I post this I am heading to a "dress like an American tourist" party that we all decided to have tonight. I can hear people singing pop songs already up in the barn (one of the bedrooms) where we are having the party.

Tomorrow we will have another Swahili class in the morning and then a briefing about health issues that we might encounter during our semester.

Thursday we leave for our rural home-stay and I will be gone for a week or so. I will hopefully post soon after that trip and if the internet cooperates I will include some pictures!

Talk to you all soon!

Devan

1 comment:

Emily said...

hey devan, it's becca & emily.

we also love awkward facebook encounters. glad that you made it on the plane.
xx miss you