Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ok laugh now!






So, yes, as you all may have heard I did fracture my ankle yesterday - and to make it a better story I fell as I was getting off our bus in the parking lot (grass field) of the NAIROBI HOSPITAL where we were having a medical orientation. I fell and got right back up and tried to walk it off, but I could tell something was wrong. I sat through the orientation and watched my ankle start to swell and after I asked the program director, Warimu, if I should see someone at the hospital while I was there. I thought they would bandage it up and give me ice or something and tell me to keep it elevated for awhile - because it really didn't hurt that bad - but the Kenyan doctor sent me to get an X-Ray and then after they found out it was a tiny fracture I had it put in a cast. Today I went to an orthopedic surgeon and they took off the cast, put my ankle and leg into a special sock and then into a boot -which I now have to wear for 2 weeks. It is a pain, but it is better than hopping around on crutches which I had to do yesterday. I will have the boot on for 2 weeks and then I will go back to the surgeon for another examination....

I was going to make up a better story of how I hurt myself - but so many of you already know - my effort is worthless.

So other news - tonight we had a group called Ethnic Entertainment Limited come to the compound to prepare us for the dancing and singing we will do in our rural home-stays. I had to sit and watch most of it, but I got some great pictures. They told stories and did songs and dances from tribes from all over Kenya.

Tomorrow we leave for the Buret District where we will meet our rural home-stay parents and siblings and stay with them for a week. The area we are staying in is known for growing tea and I am told we will know we are there when we begin to smell the tea leaves. We will live with the families and participate in all aspects of their daily lives - chores, picking tea, going to school, going to church, playing with the children, going to market, milking cows, caring for the other animals, and much more - it will be interesting with my ankle, but I am trying to make the best of it. At least I didn't fracture it while I was in the rural home-stay -I can't imagine what they would have done with me!

I will be without technology for the next 10 days or so - talk to you after my trip!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Devan
hope this makes it to the Blog. So sorry to hear about your ankle. Glad you made the trip safely though. Make sure you wear something with a heel on the good foot to balance out your legs.
Can't wait to hear more of your adventures.
Be safe. Love Aunt Pat

Emily said...

dev - we hope you're feeling better!

sorry about your ankle!

-b & e

Anonymous said...

Hey - Visiting with Rose, Pat &Ron tonight - it's already Labor Day weekend. Sorry to hear about your little mishap - must be better by now. Good luck with your semester abroad. Enjoy the experience(s) - will check your blog and looking forward to hearing about your experiences.
Warm regards.
Michele A